
On June 22nd, my life was changed...AGAIN.
The sweetest little boy came into our lives at 2:39 PM. We named him, Owen Maverick. He was 8 lbs 13 oz and was 22 inches long.
His birth was such a relief after the disappointment of Gavin's birth since they whisked him right away to the NICU. With Owen, I had been having contractions for about a week or two when I went in for my 38 week appointment. I was dilated 4 cm so the doctor asked me to go into L&D the next morning to be induced. I was 5 cm when I was admitted that morning. Dr. H broke my water first thing after the nurses hooked up my IVs. After two hours, I had no change so he started a pitocin drip at the lowest level. That was just what I needed. I wanted to experience labor since I got my epidural early on with Gavin, so I held out until 7 cm. I really didn't need the epidural at that point, but I was afraid of experiencing transition if I didn't get it. It ended up being a great epidural. I didn't feel any pain, but still could move my legs and feel pressure. I was complete at 2 PM and after just a few pushes, Owen came into the world at 2:39 PM. He was healthy, pink, and absolutely gorgeous. Up until that moment, I was done having children, DONE. However, once I saw him and had that perfect birth story I had wanted for so long, I HAD to have another.
He was able to be with us in the delivery room for some time. They were in no hurry to take him away and let us just hold and admire him and I was able to nurse him as well. Things were PERFECT!!!!
That all changed though. On his third day of life, we had to have his bilirubin checked since he started showing signs of jaundice. When his level was 21, our Pedi decided we needed to be rushed to another hospital that could do a blood exchange(where they replace all his blood). In the ambulance on the way, even with an IV, it rose to 22. I was panicking. We had experienced jaundice before, but not this extreme. He ended up not needing the blood exchange, but spent several days in the hospital under the lights 24 hours a day. I was fortunate that they allowed us to stay on the pediatric floor so I could be with him.

Owen's first year of life was spent largely on my chest(either being held, sleeping, or nursing). Both the boys have needed to be held and I have happily obliged. He was as Eddie says, "my trophy child" at nursing. I longed to nurse Gavin and it didn't work out so it became my mission to nurse Owen as long as he was willing. We gave it a great 21 months. I am looking forward to the same type of relationship with Emma Kate. Something that Owen began during this time that has lasted until today, is rubbing my belly. He does this all.the.time. It is like an addiction for him.




Owen is very shy, he always has been. However, in the past year he has become more comfortable with others and will slip people sly smiles(while hiding behind my legs or his face behind his hands) and really became outspoken in his preschool class. Having a big brother to watch and learn from has really caused a great change in his personality as well. He wants to do all the things that Gavin does which has really brought him out of his shell. He has been waiting for his third birthday since Gavin's party in January. I know that I heard him ask if it was time for his birthday party, every week for six whole months. It finally came, sweet boy!!!





Owen, I love everything that makes you, YOU! You are my sweet baby and always will be. You are fun to cuddle with, have such a sweet personality and really make me laugh. I love you forever and ever! Happy Birthday big boy!



1 comment:
Happy Birthday Owen!
Post a Comment