Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Silhouettes






I have always wanted a black silhouette of the boys. When I worked at Olan Mills, I tried to create one of Gavin, but the photo-processors thought I made a mistake so they only sent me a proof and wouldn't print the pose. A girl on an online message board that I am a member of took a pregnancy silhouette of herself. With her guidance, I created some of them on my own.
I love them. I am planning on getting them printed in 11x14 and having them framed and hung in my living room. Owen's was a little difficult as he would not stay still the entire time. We had many out-takes with him. Then, I realized his hair didn't flip up like usual and looks messy. However, I can't attempt to take it over, because I cut off the bottom of his hair. It is like a modified-bowl cut now, cute but I wanted to capture his "baby" curls.
Instructions on how to create the silhouette.
  • Hang a white sheet, blanket, or fabric in a bright sunny window.
  • Position person in a profile pose (as in my example)
  • Take picture without flash.
  • In photo editing software, increase the brightness and contrast until the subject is black and the background is white.
  • Edit any shadows in background or highlights in subject with fill tool.

I printed my silhouettes on cardstock instead of photopaper. I wanted it to look more like a painting instead of a photo.





2 comments:

tiburon said...

Those are so cool!! Would you mind posting instructions on how you did it? I would be interested :)

Thanks!

Sara said...

I would love to know how to do that too! I found your Blog via Tib's by the way.