Thursday, July 26, 2007

Water Babies

My big water baby. LOL


If I believed in Reincarnation, I would have to say that Gavin was some type of sea animal. Possibly a dolphin in that he is so playful in the water. Gavin started out this summer by teaching himself to hold his breath underwater. (I can't even do that without holding my nose. Eddie has tried to teach me over and over and I just can't get the hang of it.) He started by holding his breath and dipping his head in the water to look into it. He would come up gasping for air with huge water drops falling from his face. He ended up training his lungs so that he could go longer and longer underwater. From there it was easy. He started jumping in, (3 feet deep, so he can still touch the bottom) and once under the water, he kicked his legs to get to the other side. In the last week or so, he began moving his arms and hands as well. He is a self-taught swimmer now. Of course, I wouldn't trust that he could save his own life if he were in water over his head. However, he has really made great strides this year in the pool. I am so very proud of him.


Owen started out a bit differently. He is and always has been very attached to me. Eddie and I always joke that he is still attached to me by his umbilical cord. He loves to rub my belly. It is like an addiction for him. Even now, at two years old, he will pull up my shirt in public to rub my belly or at least have skin-to-skin contact with me. He also does this with Eddie or my mom if I am not in sight. When we first started going to the pool this year, he would get in the water, but only if I held him tightly and didn't let go. Then he would lift up my tankini top to reach my belly. Teehee. He didn't splash, smile, or cry. He just stared with sleepy, droopy eyes.(I am assuming this was because of the sun's brightness) We have this little inflatable boat that we put him in and pull him around the pool. This is when we actually captured the little guy's first "pool smile". He still is very cautious in the water, however, now he will dip his head under(like his big brother). I don't think he is holding his breath since he sputters and grabs his nose when he comes up for air. He does get very excited when I mention pool or Kyler(the friend we always swim with). He will say, "Pooh, Pooh...Baiting Suit!"

This is the life!

1 comment:

tiburon said...

Such adorable pics!!! :)