Tuesday, February 26, 2008

School

I am registering Gavin for kindergarten on tomorrow. We currently send him to a private school and will continue this for him next year. Tuition has gone up several hundred dollars this upcoming school year and with the new baby coming, we have decided to not send Owen. I am not thrilled about this, because I can definately see a difference in my sweet little man since beginning school this past September. However, Eddie and I have agonized over this, and we feel that it is crucial that Gavin goes and if we have to choose, then he definately needs it more than Owen. Owen will only be "just" three in the Fall and Gavin was 3 1/2 when we started him and had less of a foundational knowledge than Owen already shows a year younger. I am just praying that this is the "right" thing for the boys. Hopefully the next year, we will be better prepared to send them both to private school. Owen should not be behind as far as academics, I am just concerned over the social aspect.
Why private school? I have my BA in Elementary Education. I taught in our local school district for two years and am against many things in the school system. I realize that private schools have downfalls as well, but still feel that their education there will superseed anything they receive from the public system.
Some things that I am not happy with in the public schools are as follows:
Students are no longer grouped by ability. (There are studies that support both sides of this argument, but I do agree with ability grouping). The honors students succeed in spite of the teacher, the average student is the one that is taught to, and the below average student usually falls behind. I know that the No Child Left Behind act and individual teachers are trying to change this, however, it hasn't worked; yet.
Low parent involvement
The teachers cannot do it all. I discipline my kids and help them with their homework at home. However, not all parents take this responsibility seriously, so the teachers are stuck doing it in the classroom and not providing enough active learning opportunities. (Again, this is not the teacher's fault) In Private School, you find more parent involvement inside the school. It is crucial to the school's existence.
Teaching to the Test
Our state is on the lower end of the spectrum as far as test scores nationally. Teachers are very much encouraged to teach to the test(of course, noone will tell you they do this). Their performance and adequacy as an educator is judged on how well their students test at the end of the school year.
Large Class Sizes
Gavin will have no more than 10 students in his class next year. In a public school the numbers would be closer to 30 students. This allows less one on one interaction between the teacher and student and more empty periods throughout the day when students are not finishing activities at the same time.
Okay, Dad, I am finished my rant. ;)

1 comment:

Ida said...

I know that must have been a tough decision. We thought about private but we couldn't afford it. Thinking about a charted school now. Hope the boys do fine. I am sure they will.