Wednesday, June 18, 2008

39 Weeks

I seriously never thought I would get this far. (What I mean, is that I thought I would deliver at 38 weeks. LOL) Oh well. I have definitely loved and cherished this pregnancy. However, as I get closer it is harder and harder to be pregnant. I am growing more uncomfortable day by day since my pelvis feels like it is cracking open, I have to pee every 20 minutes, I am having contractions but am not actually in active labor, and I can't sleep at night. We all are so excited to meet Emma Kate and can't wait until she gets here. I have an appointment this afternoon at 2:15 and I am praying he will check me for dilation and hopefully induce me on Thursday if I haven't gone into labor by then. I am really fearful of a large baby and a possible cesarean section. Gavin was born at 39 weeks and had a 15 1/2 inch head that had to be vacuum extracted from me. I worry about letting her go to term and being larger than him. If he won't check me/induce, I am going to push for a growth u/s to check her size.

Week Thirty-Nine
The lanugo has mostly disappeared, but you'll probably find a bit on her shoulders, arms and legs and in those protected little bodily creases. It will vanish completely on its own in time.
His lungs are maturing and surfactant production is increasing and fully prepared to take on the outside world!

Your baby doesn't have much room to move and certainly mom agrees! Did you imagine 8 months ago that this wee one would be able to hook a toe in your ribs while elbowing your bladder? She certainly has grown!
His body continues laying on the fat stores that will help regulate his body temperature after birth. In addition to normal fat, he is accumulating a special "brown" fat in the nape of his neck, between his shoulders and around organs. Brown fat cells are important for thermogenesis (generating heat) during his first weeks.
Your infant's weight is around 7.25 pounds (3288gm) and length is 19.9 inches (50.7cm).

1 comment:

Dani said...

I just can't wait to see your little girl!!!