Gavin loves science. It is a good thing I was a science teacher in a former life. LOL I am definately not a scientist, but with a book, I can make a mean experiment. After much reminding from Gavin, I finally got all the ingredients for several experiments from his pop-bottle science kit.
Tonight we did the volcano and the lava lamp.
For the volcano, we started out with an empty water bottle, a piece of cardboard, tinfoil, and playdough. The kids had a lot of fun mashing the playdough around the bottle to make volcanic rock. Then we added dishsoap, red food coloring, and vinegar to the bottle. Then Gavin put the baking soda in and we waited for it to blow. It was a cool site. The best thing about doing these is that Gavin remembers what the chemical reactions were. This is a great foundation for physical science. Yay!








We did the lava lamp next. All you do is take oil, add food coloring, then add water, close the cap and slosh it around. Easy! It was a great way to explain density to Gavin. I don't know if he will remember that term, but he does know that the water is heavier and is always on the bottom and that the oil is lighter and is always on the top. Neat stuff!
We did this experiment yesterday. By mixing vinegar and baking soda to create carbon dioxide, you can use those gases trapped in a pop-bottle to blow up a balloon. I caught this snapshot as the balloon was deflating, so it was much larger than this.







5 comments:
First, I am sorry I haven't yet congratulated you on your baby girl! How exciting!! I can tell you that it is so fun having a girl, the clothes are fabulous and they really are mom's little buddy.
This post is a glorious mess! Ella would have loved to have joined right in. I am such a lazy mom about this stuff- water play and play dough and dry beans that I can sweep up are about my speed.
How fun for them! They look like they are really enjoying themselves.
What a neat thing to do at home with the boys!! I bet my Bug would LOVE to do something like that!!
Silly me, I linked to you through Sheri's blog....cause we spelled our names the same. LOL But I Was thrilled to learn a little something to do with my 5 year old! :) So, thanks! :)
That volcano looks so nasty, but fun! Can't wait to try them with the boys...soon.
Crafty Kristi. I have no idea you were a science teacher. I am going to have to try some of these.
Post a Comment