Friday, August 31, 2007

Open House

Thursday night was Open House at the boys' school for the parents. Owen's was first, at 4:30. I met Owen's teacher last year at Chick-fil-A(a very popular hangout for moms of preschoolers and the only form of chicken my kids will eat). Her name is Miss. Lisa and she is the sweetest, warmest soul. Basically, we all just met in the classroom and went over stuff about the school that we already knew since Gavin was there last year. Each Wednesday, the children take turns bringing in a sweet and salty snack of their choice(with the exception of peanuts). She also gave us the parent pick up card for our cars(a piece of construction paper with our child's name on it). Then we signed up to help with parties and filled out forms with important phone numbers, allergies, etc. I am going to be a room mother along with another mom in the two year old class.
We did see our Associate Pastor and his wife there. Their daughter Erin, will be in Owen's class.

At 5:00 we headed upstairs to the big kids' classes(PreK4, and Kindergarten). On the way upstairs, we paused to find Gavin's name on this pirate ship poster. I was so excited about this, because I knew seeing it the next day would thrill him. We got to his class and found a seat and started to go over basically the same stuff. Gavin's teachers this year seem a little bit more structured and the posters and such are just more school-like than in Owen's class. For instance, there is one of those alphabet charts and then another chart with the numbers 1-100. (I didn't know 4 year-olds could count to 100) His class has a pirate ship, knight's castle, and this magnetic table that you can move scary bugs all over it. His teacher shared with us that she is a major Clemson fan and during the Clemson/Carolina season, his class will have spirit week with Pajama Day, Fan colors day, Tacky Day and some others. I think he is going to have the coolest year. I can't wait for it to start next Tuesday.
On Friday morning, I had a wakeup call on our desperate need for way more structure. It is going to be a huge task to get both boys ready, fed, and awake for school each morning. Last year, I just worried about getting Gavin ready and put Owen asleep in his pajamas into his carseat. This year, all of us have to be ready and at school by 9:00am. I really appauld all the moms that do this by 7:30am. Ugh.
Around 10:00am we headed towards school. Someone had placed brightly colored balloons at the entrance. We were running about five minutes late, but when we entered Owen's class, only one other mom and child was already there. In fact, we were there for awhile until others began showing up. I guess the other moms shared that wakeup call with me that morning. ;) When we arrived, Owen still had his passy in his mouth. Miss. Lisa said, "Owen, you are not supposed to have one of those here." I took the passy out of his mouth and put it in my pocket. I was really concerned about whether Owen would even get out of my lap to play and meet the other children. However, after about 5 minutes of clinging to me and rubbing my belly, ;) he went to go check out the biig tucks in his classroom. After that, he really didn't notice that I was there and continued to play at each center. He is one of the youngest and smallest in his class which is different since Gavin has always been so tall. When I approached him to say that we needed to leave to check out Gavin's class, he said, "NO!" I am really hoping that he takes to school as well on Wednesday morning. On the way out, Miss. Lisa gave him a little batch of blue playdough. How did she know that is his favorite color? ;p

Upstairs...Talk about cool. On the way up, I showed Gavin his name. For some reason, he thinks Brady is his name.(I had him find his name on the pirate poster and another display his teacher had on the wall in front of his class. Both times, he chose Brady.) When we walked in, he just ignored his teacher and checked out his new classroom enthralled with all of the new cool stuff. There is a large plastic pool filled with pillows and a beach umbrella in the reading corner(I think I was more impressed with it than he was.) ;) While we were there I sat and talked with some of the other moms while the boys played. The boys outnumber the girls this year in Gavin's class. Uh-oh. Teehee. When we left, we headed out to lunch and then went to purchase Gavin a new pirate bookbag. It is a little larger and sturdier than the one he had last year.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like fun! The pool with the pillows in it sound really neat, I might have to try that out in our playroom.