Wednesday, January 9, 2008

16 Weeks


Yesterday I had my OB appointment. Dr. H went ahead and scheduled my ultrasound for February 13. (Just in time for Valentines). I will be 21 weeks at that point. He did say that I needed it done at 20-21 weeks and I am just a little irritated that I have to wait until 21 weeks instead of 20. I am just very anxious to find out what this little bean is. Right now, I have no feelings or any idea on what sex this baby is. This is not good, I want to shop. ;p

I also mentioned my cholesterol results to him and my concern over it rising and then the possible link to preterm labor. He seems to think that I am worrying over nothing and that everything will be fine. He has not seen a link between the two and feels that it is safe to just let it go and not worry. All of my other labs are fine.

Other than the above, my appointment was uneventful. I was thrilled to hear the heartbeat again. It is such an awesome sound.



16 week stats

Fat begins to form underneath skin, providing your baby with insulation for the coming months.
Did you know that both baby and placenta are now about the same size?
Your little one has reached 4.57 inches (11.6cm) and approximately 3.53 ounces (100gm).
His head and neck are held straighter now.
This is a week of "mights!" You might hear the tiny thumps of his heartbeat with an external monitor now. The genitals are developed sufficiently that an experienced sonographer might be able to determine if your baby is a boy or a girl.
Her heart is pumping as much as 6 gallons of blood a day and beats at a rate about double your heartrate.
If you could take a peek inside, you would witness your
child's reflexes in action! (Sucking, swallowing and blinking are now evident.) She is probably even hiccuping even though you don't feel it yet!
Your baby has learned to breathe! This is apparent from the regular movements of his chest. Isn't it amazing that he is able to breathe "underwater," inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid? These actions help the lungs to develop and grow.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I will be looking forward to learning of your baby's gender! What an exciting Valentine's gift. :-)

Ida said...

How exciting can't wait to find out too.

Nicole said...

Can't wait to hear the news!