Tuesday, January 15, 2008

17 Weeks


I just had my second pregnancy dream last night. I ended up having the baby, but having no memory of the birth or the new baby whatsoever. It ended up being a little boy, but when I saw him at five days old, he was the size of a toddler with blond hair and brown eyes. I end up having strong emotions with these dreams that will often carry through into my day. This morning I ended up feeling disappointed and cheated that I didn't get to experience the birth and all the memories that come with it and then having a toddler versus a newborn, that is just strange and left me feeling cheated.
Up until this point, I have secretly been thinking that this new baby is a girl. I say secretly(because everyone assumes that I need a girl and sometimes I do too) because I don't want to be disappointed when the u/s tech says, "It's a boy". Plus, I believe that God knows what he is doing if He decides not to give us a daughter. Also, it is because of the love I have for my two precious boys that I even wanted a third anyway, so that must mean that boys aren't half bad. (If you know me well, you know that I think they are the BEST). As long as this baby is healthy, what more could I ask for.
I mention this dream because around this point in my pregnancy with the boys I had dreams about their sex and each of those dreams were correct. Of course, I won't buy new baby boy outfits until after my u/s in February, but right now, that is what I am leaning towards.

Week Seventeen
By week 17, your baby weighs about 4.97 ounces (140gm) and is 5.12 inches (13cm) long.
He or she has a much more normal "human" appearance now. She holds her head more erect and her body and limbs are longer in proportion to her head.
Pads are forming on his tiny fingertips and toes
. Soon those individual swirls and whorls will be apparent.
Her eyes are looking forward now, but they are still firmly closed.
Meconium (composed of products of cell loss, digestive secretion and swallowed amniotic fluid), is accumulating in the bowel. This black gooey substance will become your baby's first poop!
The umbilical cord is growing thicker and stronger and continues to rush blood and nutrients to your growing baby.
If your child is male the prostate begins to develop
.
Her skeleton is tranforming from cartilage to bone. The bones remain flexible to make the journey through the birth canal easier.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats on your new baby! Think - you're almost half way there!
I found you through Joani's site. I too have experienced the heartache of miscarriage. I had two inbetween my little ladies, and it about wrecked me. However, when my little Lulu was born I felt completely whole again, and knew that she was the life that God intended for us to have. Keep strong, and please stop by if you get the chance!
PS - Love your music - about made me tear up!

Dani said...

HMMm I wonder, I'm voting girl. Although you REALLY make beautiful boys. :) Pretty soon you will know!