Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Randoms

I have been tagged, by Joani and Dani. I am trying to think of really interesting random things about the boys. I can usually talk about them all.the.time. However, now that I have been asked to, my mind is drawing a blank. Hopefully these randoms end up being as unique as I wish them to be.

  • Gavin sometimes stutters. It is mostly when his brain is working too fast for his mouth(he gets this from his mama, the brain/mouth thing, not the stuttering) Well, Owen picked this up and only used it for one word: because. However, he said, "bee because" all.the.time. Finally, Eddie broke him of it one night by making him repeat because over and over. Now, that it is a thing of the past, I kinda miss it.
  • The boys are very proud of their boyhood. If you suggest that they like anything, "girl-like": pink, Barbies, etc. they get very irritated and protest saying, "I not girl, I boy"(Owen) "I hate girl-stuff"(Gavin). I have always tried to be a gender neutral parent. I want the boys to feel secure playing with babies just like they play with trucks. It must be nature(in the nature/nurture debate), because I have never tried to make them manly boys. I do want to add that it thrills me that they are excited about their boyhood, but that I want them to also know that it is okay to: cry, play with babies, talk about their feelings(and other traits that most people associate with femininity)
  • They are both most comfortable in pajamas. Whenever we get home, the first thing they do is strip and get pajamas on. Owen never matches and always picks out crazy looking outfits based on his current like(now it is trucks). Gavin always picks heavy fleece pajamas with his fleece bathrobe on top, even on hot days. He ties it really tight and sticks swords in the belt.
  • Guns. I hate them. I have always been anti-gun(for our family). However, as much as I try to protect the boys and limit their exposure to them, they will turn anything they can into a gun and shoot. I constantly worry about this love of theirs and have talks with them about the dangers of real guns several times a week. I have broken down and bought them nerf dart guns with the condition that if they point it at any person, they will be put up. They are only allowed to aim them at the wall or toys.
  • I am amazed at how much more grown-up Owen is versus Gavin at this age. He is still very much a baby in that he loves to cuddle and likes to be carried, but in all other aspects he is very grown for a 2 1/2 year old. Everything about him is more advanced from his vocabulary and academic knowledge to his toy choices.

1 comment:

Joani said...

Awwww. I can relate to the talking faster than your brain is working. My mom said I did this often and she put me in speach therapy for it. LOL